R U S E
Ruse is the fifth-largest town in Bulgaria and it is center of the Ruse District. The town is situated in the northern part of Bulgaria, on the right bank of the Danube River, with a population of 165.000.
The charter of twining between Ruse and Bijeljina was signed in 2009.
The first clues of the human being comes form Neolithic period. The later Thracian settlement developed into a Roman military center “Sexaginta Prista” (a city of 60 ships) as a part of northern boundary of Roman province of Moesia. The fortress was destroyed in the 6th century by Avar and Slavic raids.
During the First (9th-11th century) and the Second Bulgarian Empire (12th-14th century), a fortified settlement called Rusi, first time mentioned in 1380, emerged near the ruins of the Roman town. It later strengthened its position as an important trade centre until it was conquered and destroyed by the Ottomans in 1388. During several centuries long Ottoman rule, Ruse was rebuilt and developed to one of the most important administrative, trade and military centers on the Danube, and in the 18th century became an administrative centre of Tuna Vilayet, which extended from Varna and Tulcea to Sofia and Nis. This was the place where first newspaper in Bulgarian language appeared, also schools and hospitals, nursing homes, first modern agricultural farm in the Ottoman empire… Five most important European countries opened their consulates in Ruse. Along with the growth of town importance for Turkey, Ruse developed into a centre of Bulgarian National Revival and hosted the headquarter of the Bulgarian Revolutionary Central Committee.
|DOHODNO ZDANIE ("PROFITABLE BUILDING") - CENTER OF CULTURAL EVENTS|
Finally, in 1878, Russian army had liberated Ruse which became the biggest city in the new established kingdom of Bulgaria and key economic and cultural centre. Intensive construction made the city architecture looked like a typical central European. “All facades on main streets of Russe shall have rich decoration with plastic stone”, postulate the Regulations for Constructions of Private Buildings of 1893, issued by the Municipality of Russe.
The period, between two World Wars marked stagnation, while after the World War II, Russe again became an important economic, transportation, cultural and educational centre, thanks to the industrialization and constructing of bridge over Danube. At the 1985 census, a population of more than 185.000 was reported.
|NEO-BAROQUE ARCHITECTURE IN RUSE||MONUMENT OF LIBERTY|
Ruse is one of the most significant industrial centers in Bulgaria, the place where one the first industrial zones was founded in Bulgaria. In the town economy prevailing light industry, chemical, textile and food processing. Machine building and shipbuilding was also developed.
Ruse is of great importance for transport and traffic, since this is the most important river port and the location of only bridge on the Danube which connects Romania and Bulgaria. Pan-European road corridors 7 and 9 pass through Ruse.
|OPERA HOUSE||BALLET "SWAN LAKE"|
Ruse is known for its 19th and 20th century Neo-Baroque and Neo-Roccoco architecture, which attracts many tourists. The Monument of Liberty built in 1906 is symbol of the town.
A monastery, dedicated to the saint “Dimitry Basarabovski”, carved into the rock, first time mentioned in 1431 is located near the town.
EDUCATION AND CULTURE
Ruse has University “Angel Kanchev” with a capacity of 12000 students. For the culture, of special importance are Drama Theater “Sava Ognjanov”, the state puppet theater and Opera-Philharmonic Society, numerous museums and galleries.
The most important cultural manifestations are:
- The March Music Days, music festival for classic music
- Summer Stage “Sexaginta Prista”- town festival (from May to October)
- St. George Fair
- Carnival and Masquerade (24th June)
- Autumn Salon of Art (second half of October)
- BG Media Market and the Bulgarian Europe Media Festival (at the end of October).
St. George is the town protector and St. George’s day (6 May) is Ruse’s holiday.
|TROGLODITE MONASTERY OF ST. DIMITRI BASARABOVSKI||LUBEN KARAVELOV REGIONAL LIBRARY|
Besides Bijeljina, Ruse is twinned with the following towns: Volgograd (Russia), Giurgiu (Romania), Peristeri (Greece), Saint-Ouen (France), Huainan (China), Lisbon (Portugal) and Bratislava (Slovakia).