L A N G E N H A G E N
Lagenhagen is a town in Hanover district of German province of Lower Saxony. It is connected with Hanover but it has separated infrastructure and economy. Lagenhagen has more than 50.000 inhabitants.
Cooperation between Bijeljina and Lagenhagen had been established in 1999 while the charter on twinning between two towns was signed in 2007.
Langenhagen, under the today name, was mentioned for the first time in 990 while town is also mentioned as Nienhagen in 1312. 1618 was of great importance of town development since Lagenhagen got trading privileges at that time.
|SILVER LAKE||ELISABETH'S CHURCH|
In the 20th century Lagenhagen became important traffic intersection, which is mostly contributed by railway constructing in 1890 and building of port on Miteland canal in 1916.
Highway was built in the mid thirties of the 20th century, when Silver Lake appeared, which was allegedly named by the pilots who used it as a landmark on the flight to Berlin.
World War II brings an enormous destruction when 2/3 of Lagenhagen was destroyed in bombing.
Period after 1945 was a period of rapid economic and social development and Lagenhagen received a city charter in 1959. Due the administrative reform in 1979, the town territory was extended to today size.
Hanover- Lagenhagen airport is open in 1952 and it is one of the biggest in Germany and is of crucial importance for the town economy. There are four industrial zones for production and commercial activities nearby the airport as well as Hanover international market with more than 400 distributors of branded goods.
In 1982, in Lagengahen, for the first time in the world had started production of compact discs while the production of DVD-s started in 1996.
CULTURE AND ATTRACTIONS
Legenhagen is a well known for his cabaret and comedy scene. Lagengahen artistic society, of national importance, has for main objective the promotion and protection of works of modern art. Thanks to this Society, there is a sculpture park and many modern sculptures placed all over the town.
|MODERN SCULPTURES ON STREETS OF LANGENHAGEN|
Festival of theatre and short films “Mimuse” is held in Lagenhagen every year.
In June, at the town square is held three day festival, while every two years there is a city ball. Humanitarian manifestations Industrial show and Family festival are also on two years bases.
There were several windmills on the territory of Lagenhagen earlier but it is saved only once from the 17th century. There are several old churches, among which the most famous is Elizabethen Church rebuilt after destruction in World War II. Tower of the church, over 400 years old, remained preserved from the bombs and it is the oldest building in Lagenhagen.
Lagenhagen is known for horse lovers as well, and there successfully operate a polo club. Oasis of nature are protected areas of Kananoher forest and nature reserve Kalteinveder wetlands.
Besides Bijeljina, Lagenhagen is twinning town-sister cities with the following towns: Southwork (London area, Great Britain), Novo Mesto (Slovenia) and Glogov (Poland). Lagenhagen city areas foster partnerships with the towns and city areas in France, Austria and Brasil.