Tavna Monastery is located 5 kilometers from village Glavicice, or five kilometer drive to west starting from the 25th kilometer of the road to Zvornik. According to legend, the Monastery has been built during the reign of King Dragutin of Serbia, in the period between 1281 and 1316.
But more probably, the patrons of the Monastery were King Dragutin sons, Urošic and Vladislav. The very first records about Tavna Monastery are actually Turkish documents dating from years 1533 and 1548, where it was mentioned under name Grabova. In the documents of the later date, the only mentioned name of the Monastery was only Tavna.
|CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY IN TAVNA MONASTERY|
The contemporary church, built on the foundations of the original one, is considered the oldest church among churches and monasteries in this area (Ozren, Liplje, Vozuća and Gostovići). It reminds quite a lot, in terms of its architectural elements, of Tronoša Monastery in Serbia, which is located across the Drina river some 30 kilometers from Tavna, and also considered one of the King Dragutin`s monasteries.
|FRESCOES FROM THE MONASTERY CHURCH AND MONASTERY COMPLEX - RESURRECTION OF JESUS, PRESENTATION OF MARY AND CHRIST PANTOCRATOR SUROUNDED BY ANGELS|
There is also a legend about the building of the Monastery. The story goes like this: the church was originally meant to be located on the Počivala, but everything that was built during the day, mysteriously was moved to another place during the night, right on the spot where the Monastery is today.
Another legend says that the church was seriously demolished in 1463 during the Turkish conquest, and the frescoes in the ruined temple stayed preserved for another 200 years. The reconstruction of the monastery is considered to be work of Starina Novak, the famous anti-Turkish rebel, or his brother, Deli Radivoje from the second half of the 16th century. Starina Novak`s cave, his hiding place, is located close to the monastery, less than an hour walk.
At the end of the 18th and at the beginning of the 19th century, the Tavna Monastery was spiritual and educational center of the young theologians. After founding the Seminary in Belgrade, only elementary school remained in the Monastery which kept working until 1966. The Monastery has been burnt during the First Serbian Uprising because of cooperation of locals with the rebels, and later was also damaged several times, especially by Croatian Ustashas during the World War Two.
People, not only from this area often visit the Monastery and consider it a holy place, and the water from its source is considered to posses healing powers.
|DETAILS FROM MONASTERY COMPLEX - ENTRANCE IN THE MONASTERY CHURCH, OPEN CHAPEL AND TABLE IN REMEMBRANCE OF VISIT OF KING ALEXANDER THE 1ST OF YUGOSLAVIA TO THE MONASTERY AND SANTIFICATION OF MONASTERY BELLS|